BB 10 Markets: Consumer, Enterprise, Government
The best operating system is useless if there are no markets in which sales are generated and money can be earned. During the keynote Thorsten Heinz has cleared up some misunderstandings: RIM has no intention of focusing only on the enterprise market. Both market segments are important: the Consumer and Enterprise Customers, and RIM will continue to operate both.
Manage your mobile Devices (BlackBerry Fusion)
Distribute APP’s easy (BlackBerry App World)
The BlackBerry Enterprise – App World supports the distribution of applications within companies.
Secure devices for Governments
Another special but important market: Governments. On the BlackBerry World conference there was a special Government Day for that audience. RIM provides a secure platform – per ex. currently the Playbook is the only certified Tablet for the U.S. government. BlackBerry 7 is certified for government departments in the UK, Australia, New Zealand.
Again: BB10 is more then a mobile OS – it’s a complete platform for all aspects of mobile life. This brings us to the next chapter:
BB10 Market: Automobile
Perhaps you don’t know, but QNX is already installed in many vehicles: In 2011 QNX controls more than 60% of infotainment – systems in vehicles (Audi MMI 3G, BMW Connected Drive, Chevy MyLink, Toyota Touch & Go …) and QNX is running in more than 40% of the USA delivered cars.
With BB10 it will be possible to build complex integrated systems:
- processing vehicle data
- location-based services
- services from the Internet
- managing Kid’s Playbooks on the rear seats
- …and much more.
At the BlackBerry World, a BB10 – connected Porsche was shown
and there’s also a QNX-powered Jeep Wrangler.
Infos about QNX and automobile available at QNX Auto Blog.
In the next years much innovation will happen in the automotive market and there’s the need for many interesting applications:
- Social networks designed specifically for cars
- Import Apps from your smartphones into the vehicle
- Apps controlling features of the car, running on smartphones and tablets
- Hybrid – Apps sharing content between the vehicle system and Smartphones
- Cloud-Based Services
BB10 is also a great opportunity for developers in the automotive market ! Blackberry 10 provides a secure QNX kernel (who wants to have his car checked by hackers), while it’s open to all kinds of enhancements that increase comfort or improve navigation or or or….
BB10 and QNX are clearly aimed at this market and the existing concept – Cars and Innovation Awards are first kind of proof.
- ‘Death Spiral’. Why developing BB, Who on Earth…
- How it all began, Farewell Java ME, the ‘old’ RIM vs. ‘not your fathers’ RIM, I’m independent
- BB10 is a Platform, Cascades more then a UI Framework
- Thorsten Heins: the hard Way to BB10, BlackBerry 7 is alive
- Alec + Chris rockin’ …, BB10Jam Conference, Creating intelligent Apps
- Connected Apps with Cascades, Anatomy of a BB10 App
- Native Camera API, NFC Apps
- Flow + Invokation Framework
- Party, SDK, AlphaDevice, Keyboard, Magic Moments
- Markets: Consumer, Enterprise, Government, Automobile
- BB10 around the World, Apps Apps Apps…, Open Source
- Mission RIM possible ?, Empower People like never before ?, Three Wishes